Skip to main content

Reading Comprehension Strategies

Reading Comprehension Strategies

Predicting

  • I suppose..
  • From what I know, I don’t think…
  • I predict that… will happen next.
  • That’s not what I thought would happen.
  • Maybe… will happen because…
  • I wonder if.. I think… will happen because..

Creating Images

  • When I read this I can see…
  • I can taste..
  • I can see..
  • I can see this picture in my head.. it looks like.
  • When I read this I imagine..
  • I can smell..
  • I can hear..
  • I can touch..

Declunking

  • Think of another word that makes sense.
  • Sound out and blend the sounds together.
  • Read on.
  • Look for parts you know.
  • Reread.
  • Ask yourself “Does this make sense?”
  • I didn’t understand this part…
  • I’m confused about…
  • There is a word/ phrase/ idea that is confusing me
  • I didn’t understand__, so I am going to reread the paragraph again.
  • I don’t understand what the author meant by the phrase, __________. I’m going to read on and see can I figure it out.
  • This part is extremely difficult but I’m thinking to myself ‘Do I need to fully understand this difficult section to get the overall meaning of the story?

Making Connections

  • I felt like this when..
  • That reminds me of a time when..
  • This sounds very similar to..
  • That character reminds me of somebody..
  • I already know that..
  • That reminds me of another book where..
  • Something similar happened to me when..
  • It reminds me of earlier in the story when…..because
  • When I read that title it immediately reminds me of a time when……
  • I remember reading about that in another book. Let me think about what happened. …..
Questioning

  • Why do you think?
  • When..?
  • How..?
  • Why..?
  • How do you think..?
  • Who..?
  • Where..?
  • What..?
  • Why do you think..?
  • What did that mean?
  • How could that be?
  • I wonder..

Synthesising

  • At first I thought… but now I think..
  • I was surprised when.. because..
  • I’m changing my mind about…
  • I realise that.. because..
  • Now I understand why…
  • I think the character… is like me because…
  • I agree with… because…
  • I don’t agree with … because..
  • I think the author was trying to say.. because
  • I’m beginning to think…

Inferring

  • The story said… which made me think..
  • I think… will happen because…
  • When I read… it made me realise…
  • I can tell … is … because…
  • How the character acts tells me…
  • How the character feels tells me..
  • What the character says tells me.. 
Determining Importance

  • The story was mostly about..
  • The author is trying to tell us that..
  • I learned..
  • The important parts of the story were..
  • This was interesting, but this was important..
  • … is important because…

Skimming and Scanning

  • As I scan this book, I already know ___about the topic/theme of the book so I think it might be about …
  • Looking at the pictures in the book I think..
  • I can see by the headings and pictures that it includes information about..
  • Does anyone know what the word… means?
Summarising and Clarifying 

  • The story takes place…
  • This part was mostly about..
  • In the beginning/middle/end..
  • There is a problem when..
  • It is solved when..
  • The main characters are..

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Christmas Play

Fourth Class performed a fantastic play called Cinderella Rockerfella for Christmas. The children played Cinderella, Prince Charming, and others, making it very exciting to watch. Everyone worked hard behind the scenes, making costumes and setting up the stage. The children did a great job, and it was really exciting. The play made Christmas feel even more special. We can't wait for the next one! 🌟

School Tour 2023

We had a brilliant day today. Third to Sixth Class went to Baysports in Athlone, adjacent to the Hudson Bay Hotel. They participated in a variety of land and water team building games along with kayaking, slides and more. Everyone had a great day!

Welcome Back Fourth Class 2023

Welcome back 4th Class. It’s so lovely to see everyone back after the summer! We are very excited to get back into school life and routines. We are looking forward to learning lots of new things this year.  We have lots of things planned for the coming year! Lots of STEAM projects, chess tournaments and team work! Keep up to date with what we are up to here on our school blog! Teamwork Challenge